Beyond Ordinary, Like a local Makkuvalli ₹
Graamya is a social enterprise that offers experiential rural trips in the villages of Kerala. While the guests experience the cultures and traditions through an immersive rural experience, graamya also make sure that we contribute to the rural livelihood and the culture and traditions of that village is well preserved. Host family welcomes their guests with flowers and a welcome drink (lemon juice or butter milk during summers and black coffee or tea during rainy seasons). The guide introduces the host and guests to each other and orients the guests about their stay in the village.Farm to plate – Experience the Journey of rice from paddy field to the plate in this immersive activity where you are taken to the paddy field (seasonal) and explained the unique traditional method of paddy cultivation at Makkuvalli. Post visit a handful of paddy is pounded to de-husk and use winnowing techniques to separate the rice from husk and grounded the rice grains into flour manually which is used.
Itinerary (02 Days & 01 Night)
✔ 11:00 am - Reach the pick- up point Pazhayarikandam. Reach the village Makkuvalli as per the Google map location. You meet your guide (Graamya’s trained guide from the village) at the pick-up point. Host family welcomes their guests with flowers and a welcome drink (lemon juice or butter milk during summers and black coffee or tea during rainy seasons). The guide introduces the host and guests to each other and orients the guests about their stay in the village.Farm to plate – Experience the Journey of rice from paddy field to the plate in this immersive activity where you are taken to the paddy field (seasonal) and explained the unique traditional method of paddy cultivation at Makkuvalli. Post visit a handful of paddy is pounded to de-husk and use winnowing techniques to separate the rice from husk and grounded the rice grains into flour manually which is used to make a multiple dishes like puttu, pidi (dishes from local cuisine) etc. ✔ 1:00 pm – Enjoy traditional home-cooked meals of Makkuvalli over lunch. Lunch is served on leaves (banana leaf or leaves of other trees and shrubs like crepe ginger), by your host family to add natural flavors and health benefits to the food. The meals are cooked in coconut oil and most of the ingredients are grown in the farm of your host family. The meals by default are vegetarian. However, with prior intimation non-vegetarian food may be served. Experience the joy of growing your own food. Farm like a farmer. Interact with farmers and get to know more about the variety of crops they grow. Also, learn how to identify better quality spices and the rural economy prevailing in the remote villages of Kerala.Get involved in ongoing village activities like opening cocoa pods and tasting the fruits of the cocoa, taking care of farm animals, weaving coconut leaves to make a temporary shelter, climbing a coconut tree etc. ✔ 04:30pm – Tea and local snack at the village home (Learn how different leaves that we ignore become part of the local cuisine) Take a guided village, sunset walk and relax by the stream. Learn to write alphabets of Malayalam language, learn to write your name in Malayalam and also, pick up few Malayalam words from your hosts. Get involved in cooking or listen to Malayalam songs on the radio. ✔ 08:00pm – Enjoy traditional dinner served by your hosts and exchange thoughts. ✔ 10:00pm - Lights off - Overnight stay in host's home
✔ Start you day with a morning trail to the forest at least by 07:00 am Post the morning nature trail Enjoy breakfast from the local cuisine along with a cup of hot tea/coffee Visit the local school and the Aanganwadi (Pre-school) center of the village, play village games etc. Children can involve in making their own version of Scare-crow. Become a researcher and learn about plants and their uses, collect the specimen and stick on your album for future reference. Learn to climb trees, draw water from the wells, try your hands on the traditional methods of fishing etc. Plant a tree Sapling in Makkuvalli (leave your footprints at Makkuvalli) Visit the village shop to buy organic farm products (spices, coffee etc) as souvenirs. ✔ 01:00 pm – Lunch at the village home ✔ 02:00 Check-out.
- Hosted by a rural family
- Banana leaf lunch served by host family
- Farm like a farmer
- Traditional Kerala dinner
- Live as a localite
- Learn local culture
- Traditional fishing
- Overnight stay in host's home
- Pick up from Pazhayarikandam
- Pick and drop from Munnar (Can be provided with additional cost)
- Anything which is not mentioned in itinerary
- Driver accommodation
Thing to Remember
- Please do not expect any luxury in community based tour packages
- Poor mobile network signals and no wi-fi available.
- Keep environment plastic free
- We expect every guest to be respectful towards nature, local people or tribals
- Keep the environment green and clean
- The community in Makkuvalli speak only Malayalam – Please pre-book a translator if required
- Your stay will be arranged in the village homes (clean rooms and bedding accommodating 2 adults in a house, toilets available may be Indian or western-style water toilets, no toiletries will be provid
- Electricity and network connectivity is erratic, enjoy your time away from the hustle and bustle of your daily lives.
- You will be accompanied by your trained guide from the village for all the activities.
- We do not encourage TIPs in the village or any kind of financial and non-financial favors offered for the services provided.
- Climate at the village is pleasant (approx. 22°C to 30°C no special preparations required)
Things to Carry
- There are no shops available nearby, hence please carry items for your personal needs
- Enough money for your personal use as there is no ATM’s available nearby
- Reusable water bottle
- Extra pair of clothes
- Hiking shoes
Terms & Conditions
✔ Normal check in and check out time is 12.00 PM to 12.00 PM. Any changes should inform to service provider. Early check in options available and it is depending on availability and service provider may charge additional charge for early check in. ✔ All itineraries are sample itineraries, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous aspects such as weather, road conditions, the physical ability of the participants etc may dictate itinerary changes either before the tour or while on the vehicle. voye.in or Service Providers reserve the right to change any schedule in the interest of the tour participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.